ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Global Love and Relationships- Immigration and Bringing your Life Partner to the United States

Global Love and Relationships- Immigration and Bringing your Life Partner to the United States

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
August 25, 2010
Topic: Family Law & Immigration

The internet has changed the way we do life. Amongst one of the greatest changes, is the way we socialize and form new relationships. To day nearly 50% of couples who marry initially made a connection on line. Many U.S. Citizens are expanding their horizons to build relationships with individuals from other countries.

If a U.S. citizen desires to bring his or her fianc to the United States, this requires patience and planning from an immigration standpoint. There are several considerations and steps involved.

First, a foreign national from a visa waiver country, such as England, Australia, or Japan must consider opting for a K-1 visa. A foreign national who is not from a visa waiver country needs to insure their immigration intent is very clear before entering the U.S. If the intent is to marry before entering the United States, they will also need to have a K-1 visa approved for travel. However, other options are available if both the U.S. citizen and the foreign national fianc now want to marry and both are already in the United States. It is important to consult with an immigration attorney before marrying, in the later case, to ensure there are no adverse immigration consequences.

Travel back and forth for foreign nationals from visa waiver countries to visit their fianc or boyfriend/girlfriend can present unique problems with Customs Border and Patrol (CBP). Frequent visits by the foreign national fianc will eventually be stopped as CBP tends to believe that the visa waiver program is being misused.

Generally, the steps for acquiring a K-1 visa for individuals from visa waiver countries or standard visa countries are the same. First, an I-129F petition must be approved here in the United States by the U.S. Citizen filing. Once the case is approved, the National Visa Center sends the case for processing at the respective consulate or embassy. To ensure faster processing at the consulate it is important to be aware of the information needed in advance such as police clearance reports.

To have a K-1 visa approved requires demonstrating a clear plan to marry, evidence of bona fide relationship, and complying with the U.S. federal regulations. For further questions you may contact us at (703)955.7998 or (202)296.0122.

ScottMond Law Firm

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions