ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

H-1B Worker Laid Off? Understanding the Change of Status in Relation to Yearly Cap

H-1B Worker Laid Off? Understanding the Change of Status in Relation to Yearly Cap

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
August 17, 2010
Topic: Employment Visas

Individuals holding H-1B visa status who are laid off have the option to change status to another non-immigrant category such as a F-1 visa. However, whether one would be subject to the cap when if he or she elects to return to H-1B status later needs to understood by the H-1B non-immigrant worker. Also, whether one's time in another status counts against the 6 year maximum allowable time in H-1B status needs to be considered.

H1B Cap. First, if a foreign national worker changes to another status, such as F-1, will he or she later be subject to the cap when they want to return to H-1B status? In most cases, the answer is no. Generally, the only way to "trigger" the cap is if a worker is going out of the country for more than one year. So if Employee A is terminated from Employer A and then switches to F-1 status for 2 years; Employee A is not subject to the cap if he does not leave the country for more than 1 year when he applies for a new H-1B visa for Employer B.

Six Year Time Limit. Next, will one's time in another status count against the 6 year limit on H-1B visas? Again, the answer is no in most circumstances. Admission is for a maximum of 6 years in H-1B status. Although, there are ways to extend the status in 1 to 3 year increments based on an employer filing a petition, we have not discussed that issue here. Continuing with our example, a foreign national in F-1 status for two years has not used two years of their 6 year limit in H-1B status.

Change of status can be a successful way to bridge one's immigration status. Consulting with experienced and skilled legal counsel is essential.

ScottMond Law Firm

Washington D.C. (202)296.0122

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions