ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

I have lost my U.S. Immigration Court Case What Now!

I have lost my U.S. Immigration Court Case What Now!

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
July 22, 2011
Topic: Deportation & Detainment

The purpose of this brief article is to equip clients and individuals in removal/deportation proceedings with an understanding of their options in the event they lose their case in U.S. immigration court. All hope is not lost.

We understand that this is a devastating time for our clients. We have taken over several cases that were lost be prior attorneys or counsel and taken the next essential steps to give clients another chance to win a meritorious case in the U.S. Immigration court system.

Time is of the essence when someone loses their immigration case. The three main options are as follows: 1) file a motion to reopen the immigration case, 2) file a motion to reconsider, and/or 3) to file an appeal to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA). All three options must be completed within 30 days or less.

First, a motion to reopen requires that a new set of facts be introduced. The factors are very legally specific. One factor seriously considered by the court is prior ineffective counsel. This requires urgently having new independent immigration review the case. Other factors considered by the court involve the introduction of new evidence or a change in U.S.status.

A form called I-290B must be filed and accompanied by a legal brief in 30 days or less for the Immigration Judge's (IJ) order being entered. This deadline is very strict.

Second, a motion to reconsider is also an option and asks the IJ to reconsider the same set of facts based on a belief that the judge may not have clearly fully considered all factors in the case. The same strict deadlines above apply.

Finally, an appeal may be filed to the BIA within 30 days which is an appellate court. The filing requirements for the above are complex and require an experienced U.S. Immigration attorney. A second opinion by a new immigration counsel is always a very wise step.

If you need a consultation or have a question or may contact us at [email protected] or our telephone numbers are listed at for your convenience.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions