ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

U.S. Citizen Parents Sponsoring Step-Children for U.S. Permanent Resident Status

U.S. Citizen Parents Sponsoring Step-Children for U.S. Permanent Resident Status

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
July 27, 2012
Topic: Family Law & Immigration

As our world society becomes more connected, internationally blended families are becoming the norm. U.S. Citizens who marry a Foreign National spouse who has children may sponsor their step-children as an immediate relative, but the law varies based on the U.S. status of his or her spouse. There are 3 general categories of foreign national spouses which effects the way a step child can be sponsored.

  • Foreign National spouse that was already in good U.S. status when he or she married U.S. Citizen.
  • Foreign National spouse that came in the U.S. on a valid Visa and later fell out of status before marrying a U.S. Citizen.
  • Foreign National spouse that crossed the border illegally, called Entry Without Inspection. ("EWI").

In the case of a U.S. Citizen spouse who marries a U.S. Citizen ("USC") already in good status in the U.S. an application for the children may be filed at the same time for the U.S. spouse and step children. However, if the children are not in the United States, they will need to consular process. Experienced legal counsel is needed to ensure each step of the process is completed properly. Ultimately, step children can receive status at the same time or shortly after their USC's spouse.

Alternatively, If the USC spouse marries a Foreign National that is out of status prior to marriage, a petition may also be filed at the same time for the step children. However, depending on the circumstance, it may be better to file after the spouse becomes a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident ("LPR").

Finally, a Foreign National spouse that crossed the border illegally is the more complex situation. Marriage to USC spouse still does not permit someone in EWI status to adjust status to an LPR. Rather, filing a petition for the step children will trigger a red flag with USCIS as to why the spouse has not been petitioned, or if the spouse is petitioned a request to appear in court may be issued called a Notice to Appear ("NTA").

However, with careful planning under the guidance of an immigration attorney, there is nothing in immigration law that prohibits the filing for step children regardless of the Foreign National parent's EWI status. A plan for addressing the EWI status of the parent is essential however, and an application should never be filed for the U.S. step children unless an experienced immigration lawyer is involved with the process.

Based on the above variable situations, the basic law for sponsoring step children is as follows: if an unmarried child is under 21, and the marriage took place before their 18th birthday, a USC step parent may sponsor their step child.

We invite you to contact our law offices for a consultation at [email protected] Our main office numbers are listed conveniently at

ScottMond Law Firm

Members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association - AILA

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions