ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

What Do I Do Now!...I am a Conditional Permanent Resident and My U.S. Citizen Spouse Will Not Attend the Interview With Me

What Do I Do Now!...I am a Conditional Permanent Resident and My U.S. Citizen Spouse Will Not Attend the Interview With Me

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
August 13, 2012
Topic: Family Law & Immigration

We explain in this short blog the steps that need to be taken when a Joint I-751 (Application to Remove Conditions from Green Card) is filed, and the U.S. Citizen spouse subsequently refuses to attend the interview. Ultimately, the marriage begins to fail or fails before the requested USCIS Interview. In our previous blog posts, we have explained the I-751 Application process and I-751 waivers more extensively. Below we focus on specific steps to follow if by the time of interview the couple is no longer on speaking terms and a separation or divorce has occurred.

  1. It is important to contact a U.S. Immigration attorney to find out strategically when it is best in your State to file for divorce or to remain separated.
  2. If the interview is approaching, and there is no reconciliation between the husband and wife, the spouse whos status is set to expire should still attend the interview with legal representation and simply ask the interviewing officer if he or she can please convert the I-751 joint application to a waiver application.
  3. The Conditional Resident should go to the interview with strong evidence of the bona fide marriage, and evidence of hardship that will occur if the application is denied, or his or her case is referred to Immigration Court. (DO NOT present this evidence unless you are specifically asked by the USCIS Officer). It may be better to wait until a "Request for Additional Evidence" (RFE) is issued by the USCIS. And ONLY provide what the RFE specifically requests, and no more. If the Interviewing Officer does not suggest issuing an RFE, request that your legal counsel ask for one to be issued.
  4. The Conditional Resident spouse needs to keep important information in their possession, especially a copy of the Jointly filed I-751, and evidence that the marriage is bona fide.

Often if the above steps are followed a Conditional Resident faced with divorce or separation their U.S. Permanent Resident status will still be approved once the marriage was bona fide. In sum, a Joint Application to Remove Conditions can be converted to an I-751 waiver with the help of legal counsel and should not be abandoned.

You may contact our U.S. Immigration attorneys at [email protected] or call our offices at our telephone numbers conveniently listed at

ScottMond Law Firm

Members of the American Immigration Lawyers' Association

Offices located in Washington D.C, Virginia and Maryland

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions