ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Adjustment of Status in the United States after a Grant of Voluntary Departure

Adjustment of Status in the United States after a Grant of Voluntary Departure

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
October 15, 2012
Topic: U.S. Citizenship

At times, we have clients who come to our office for legal guidance regarding their failure to depart the United States under a grant of Voluntary Departure. For a variety of reasons one may be unable to depart. Eventually, the foreign national may marry and become eligible to adjust status in the United States. However, the individual's failure to leave the United States as ordered by a U.S. Immigration Judge, can prevent one from adjusting status in this type of situation.

The purpose of this blog article is to give a general overview of the steps that would need to be taken for a client to have the strongest chance of Adjustment of Status in the United States with their new "immediate relative".

First, it is important to understand that once a grant of Voluntary Departure is not complied with, the Order is converted to a Final Order of Removal ("FOR"). A FOR invokes a 10 year bar which can require the foreign national spouse to consular process back in their home country.  However, we describe below a window of possibility to remain in the U.S. and adjust status here successfully.

The first step in this situation, such as described herein, is to hire experienced Immigration legal attorney counsel to file a Motion to Reopen the case in U.S. Immigration Court.  If possible, it is ideal to file a Joint Motion to Reopen with the Department of Homeland Security Trial Attorneys. However, this is tricky, and DHS Trial Attorneys usually object, so Immigration Counsel would need to file Sua Sponte.

Once the Motion to Reopen is filed, a U.S. Immigration Judge, in his or her discretion, may agree to allow the spouse to adjust his or her immigration status to a U.S. Permanent Resident in court despite failure of an individual to depart the U.S. pursuant to Voluntary Departure.

If you have any Immigration questions or concerns you may contact our office at [email protected] or call one of our offices listed conveniently at

Members and Former Employee(s) of the American Immigration Lawyers' Association (AILA)

ScottMond Law Firm

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions