ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Needing to Travel in the Middle of Adjusting Status in United States & Advanced Parole

Needing to Travel in the Middle of Adjusting Status in United States & Advanced Parole

Posted by: ScottMond Law Firm
November 12, 2012
Topic: Permanent Resident

More often than not, a Foreign National who is in the middle of adjusting his or her status to a U.S. Permanent Resident may need to travel before their U.S. Permanent Resident status is approved. Whether adjustment of status is based on either marriage or work related sponsorship, this is a very important issue to understand. Travelling before the adjustment of status is approved to a U.S. Permanent Resident may result in the abandonment of the entire application resulting in the headache of having to re file from scratch with this "mark" against one's immigration record.

This short blog article will explain the process of how one can travel overseas successfully and return without abandoning their application for U.S. Permanent Resident Green Card.

First, an I-131 must be filed with USCIS called "Advanced Parole". It can take up to 3 months to gain an approval, so it is important to file ASAP if one believes they may have to travel during the adjust of status pre approval stage. The problem that often arises is that our clients need to travel well in advance of the advanced parole being approved. This is a tricky situation, because if one leaves before the approval of their Advanced Parole, this could still be deemed an abandonment of one's U.S. Green Card adjust of status application. However, by retaining U.S. Immigration counsel to file Advanced Parole on behalf of a Foreign National who must travel "ASAP", it may indeed be possible to travel without an approved Advanced Parole and still not abandon one's application.

It is important to consult an experienced Immigration lawyer to determine how to receive Advanced Parole ("AP") approval while one travels outside of the country pre AP approval. Essential biometrics have to be taken post AP application and before one leaves the U.S. to travel abroad. Also, it is important to be advised how to reenter the country with the approved AP.

If you have questions or require an attorney consultation, you may contact our law firm at [email protected] or call one of our office(s) listed conveniently at

Members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association
ScottMond Law Firm

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions