ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Another Way We Pay Honor To Our Armed Forces-Good News for Undocumented Military Spouses in the U.S.

Good News for U.S. Military spouses! A new Federal Regulation, called Parole in Place ("PIP"), now allows undocumented spouses to adjust status to a U.S. Legal Permanent Resident without leaving the United States. Previously, if a foreign national entered the U.S. without inspection ("EWI"), they were automatically barred from any U.S. Immigration benefit for up to 10 years.

The new PIP law is not to be confused with the I-601A waiver (also a new law) which allows non-military undocumented spouses to have their 10 year bar waived BEFORE they leave the United States. However, the I-1601A waiver still requires that spouses which entered the U.S. EWI to still depart the U.S. and process their Permanent Visa outside of the United States through a U.S. Consulate abroad. In contrast, military spouses which are EWI may remain in the U.S. unequivocally. PIP allows U.S. Military spouses to remain in the U.S. while the PIP Waiver and the adjustment of status to a U.S. Permanent Resident is processed with the Department of Homeland Security ("DHS").

It is critical to hire an AILA Immigration Lawyer for a couple reasons. First, the benefit of PIP is discretionary. The Department of Homeland Security ("DHS") does not have to approve the PIP application; the agency can deny the application based on discretion. Therefore, an Immigration attorney preparing the application will give the best chance of success to hopefully avoid a denial.

Secondly, PIP only waives the 3/10 year bar to those who entered the country EWI. It does NOT waive anything else. So, for instance if there is any criminal issues, use of a false name or other inadmissibility bars, the application could be denied and cause uninvited problems with DHS. It is essential for an immigration lawyer to conduct a detailed consultation BEFORE proceeding to file a PIP application on a military spouse's behalf.

For a consultation with our attorneys you may contact us at [email protected] or call us at one of our office telephone numbers conveniently listed at


Vassell & LeeRC Law Group

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions