ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm - immigration
Free & Standard Consultations Available
Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881   Virginia
301-251-4003   Maryland
202-973-0156   D.C.
Free & Standard Consultations Available

Over 20 Years Experience

703-261-6881   Virginia
301-251-4003   Maryland
202-973-0156   D.C.

Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Covid-19 Message: Our office is OPEN with strict safety precautions in place for in office visits & Video also available.


Work Visas for Nurses and Other Professionals When DOL says ‘Not a Speciality Occupation’ – H-1B Visa Alternatives for Canadian & Mexican Nationals

| Mar 28, 2017 | Uncategorized |

Nurses often have a unique issue in qualifying for H-1B speciality work visa status since the Department of Labor (“DOL”) determined Nurses only require a 2 year diploma. In contrast, an H-1B work visa is only available to professions that require a 4 year degree minimum such as an accountant. The TN work visa, available under NAFTA, is an alternative available for Canadian and Mexican Nationals.

The TN work visa is very different from an H-1B and the intent requirement alone can be missed by applicant resulting in a denied visa. Therefore, if you are considering this option please first consult with an experienced U.S. Immigration Lawyer in Consulate visa processing.

Below are a few tips for Canadian or Mexican nurse professionals to keep in mind for discussion with your lawyer when considering TN visa processing:

  • Where to Apply. Visas may be processed at the U.S. Consulate or at designated U.S. Borders by Customs Border & Patrol.
  • Credentials. Relevant Diploma/Degree that shows education match to position is required.
  • Employer Letter. Request a letter from Employer for TN Applicants should include the following:

Name of employer


List of the nature of the job description itemizing duties

Length of stay in the United States

Compensation paid

Evidence of education

Use Company letterhead with original signatures only

Certificate from the Commission on Graduates of Foreign Nursing Schools (CGFNS) ( i.e. VisaScreen)

We invite you to inquire about: Our attorneys in Washington DC, Fairfax Virginia and Rockville Maryland who can answer questions about the following: Nurses, Foreign Nurses, Physical therapists, Speech therapists, Occupational therapists and options such as: H-1B visa, O visa, L visa, E visa, investor visa, worker’s permit and other work visas and/or work permits for all professions including medical professionals.

Members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA “)

Vassell & LeeRC Law Group

Representing Businesses, Families & Individual U.S. Immigration needs since 1997 | [email protected] | Offices in Washington D.C. • Rockville, Maryland • Fairfax,Virginia