ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Tips on How To Handle Expiring Temporary Visas and Permanent Resident Cards

H1B-Green Card.jpg

This blog post answers two frequently asked questions about the following:

- Renewing Your Green Card Set To Expire When Taking The Next Step To Naturalize; and

- How To Juggle A Pending H-1B Work Visa When Your Work Authorization Through OPT Is Expiring And You Need To Keep Working.

QUESTION 1: My U.S. Immigration Green Card is about to expire and I would like to apply for Naturalization. Is it ok to skip the Green card renewal process and just apply for Naturalization to save time and money?

It's important to note that although unconditional U.S. Permanent resident status requires a card renewal every 10 years, the U.S. Permanent resident's status does not expire. Regardless, an N-400 application to naturalize is often rejected when the Permanent Resident Card is expired.

Therefore, we recommend to all our clients that 90 days before expiration of their U.S. Permanent Resident status an application to renew their Green Card is promptly filed with U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS). The N-400 may also be filed concurrently if necessary, but your immigration legal counsel should review your case before filing both together.

QUESTION 2: I am currently waiting for my H-1B visa to be processed by USCIS, and current premium processing is not available; May I continue work for my U.S. employer while my visa is pending?

An F-1 student working in Optical Training Status ("OPT") needs to be very careful. If an F-1 student's visa has been selected for a visa number and is pending, a U.S. Federal Regulation called the 'cap gap' may permit the student to continue working on an expired OPT employment authorization card. However, the I-20 should be marked by the school's Designated Student Office ("DSO) as "recommended for Cap Gap" and the employee and U.S. employer must maintain the expired OPT card on file as proof of legal work status.

The student-employee should consult with U.S. Immigration counsel to ensure cap gap eligibility before remaining in the United States and working on a pending H-1B visa application.

Our firm handles Optical Practical Training, OPT, Work authorization, Motions to Reopen, Motions to Reconsider, Appeals, Student visa, F-1, Complications with Designated Student Officer, I-20 H-1B, O, L-1A and E visas, Consular Processing, Deferred Inspections, Work visas, EB-1, EB-2, and Eb-3 employment based work visas. Adjustment of Status, I-140, I-485 and I-539 Change of Status and Extension of status.

Our attorneys are members of the American Immigration Lawyers' Association ("AILA"), and have 20 years of experience in U.S. Immigration matters. We are standing by to answer questions. We serve clients through the United States and abroad.

Our offices are located in Washington D.C, Virginia and Maryland. You may email [email protected] or visit (Phone and Video Consultations Available upon Request).


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions