ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm
  • Free & Standard Consultations Available
  • Over 20 Years Experience
703-261-6881 Virginia
301-251-4003 Maryland
202-973-0156 D.C.
Do you need a RUSH on Your Immigration Case? Contact us today about our Expedited Services for Preparation & Filing of U.S. Immigration matters.

Playing the 6th Month Travel Game As A U.S. Permanent Resident? Not a Good Idea

vassell - Copy.jpg

Becoming a U.S. Permanent Resident of the United States is a very exciting accomplishment- that is until you can't find work, qualified affordable child care, or a close family member abroad falls ill unexpectedly. These are a few of the reasons Permanent Residents often leave the United States for extensive periods of time despite the risk of abandoning their U.S. Permanent Resident Status. Unfortunately, it is a popular myth that U.S. permanent residents need just return to the United States every six months to avoid the risk of being stripped of permanent resident status by U.S. Customs Border & Patrol ("CBP").

It's important to note that the requirements to not lose permanent resident status versus the rules to apply for Naturalization are very different. First, Permanent Residency requires a reentry permit and proof of continuous residency. Working with experienced immigration legal counsel is an essential step before relocating abroad for even a short period of time.

Naturalization, on the other hand, requires consideration of an N-470 to preserve time counting towards citizenship. The residency guidelines are strict to be eligible for Citizenship after extended travel abroad. It is encouraged to always apply for I-131 reentry permit as well. However, to apply for citizenship one must demonstrate the following: 1) Resided continuously in the United States for at least 5 years as a lawful permanent Resident; 2) Have resided for at least 3 months in the State or USCIS District where residency is claimed before filing for Citizenship (N-400); 3)Have resided continuously in the United States from the date of filing N-400 up to the time of administration of the Oath of Allegiance; and 4)be physically present in the United States for at least 21/2 years at the time of filing Form N-400.

To balance and ensure that U.S. Immigration laws are satisfied when travelling abroad, always consult with an experienced immigration lawyer. Have the lawyer explain overlapping and seperate issues dealing with 'not abandoning' U.S. Permanent Status versus becoming 'disqualified from' applying for Naturalization Citizenship. The 6 month 'back and forth' travel game has cost many their status in the United States but the good news is that with proper legal guidance this risk can be eliminated.

Our attorneys are members of the American Immigration Lawyers' Association ("AILA"), and we have over 20 years of experience in U.S. Immigration matters. We are standing by to answer questions. We serve clients through the United States and abroad.

Offices are located in Washington D.C, Virginia and Maryland. You may email [email protected] or visit

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Call or e-mail us to inquire about our free limited telephone consultations. We have competitive rates and we accept Visa and MasterCard. Reach us at 703-261-6881; 301-251-4003; or 202-973-0156.

[email protected]

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

ScottVassell & LeeCC Law Firm Spanish, Portuguese, Korean, Mandarin, Cantonese and French services available.

Fairfax Office
11350 Random Hills Road
Suite 800
Fairfax, VA 22030

Phone: 703-261-6881
Map & Directions

Rockville Office
110 North Washington Street
Suite 404
Rockville, MD 20850

Phone: 301-251-4003
Map & Directions

Washington Office
1629 K Street
Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006

Phone: 202-973-0156
Map & Directions